Haiti Earthquake Death Toll Continues To Grow And How You Can Help
The death toll from a 7.2-magnitude earthquake in Haiti climbed to at least 1,419. The earthquake also left at least 6,900 people injured with thousands more displaced from their destroyed or damaged homes, and an unknown number are still missing.
Thousands of buildings were destroyed by the quake and rescue efforts are racing against the arrival of Tropical Depression Grace is expected to dump up to 25cm (10 inches) of rainfall which could provoke landslides. Survivors in some areas were forced to wait out in the open amid oppressive heat for help from overloaded hospitals. Meanwhile, COVID19 continues to be a risk as people begin to gather in crowded makeshift shelters. Haiti's civil protection agency urged "good neighbours whose space has not been affected" to help shelter displaced people.
Search and rescue teams have been arriving from the United States and Chile, with more on the way from Mexico. There are already Cuban medical teams in Haiti helping people. Humanitarian groups say survivors need drinking water and shelter. More than 30,000 families were displaced and are now homeless.
How you can help
Below are some verified organizations that need help or funding to best serve Haitian earthquake survivors and displaced people.
- Haiti Emergency Relief Fund http://www.haitiemergencyrelief.org/?fbclid=IwAR0wfx3k6QGxqE5aTcDteMwZHcSQmrE8wvSqLcxnBFH1hlOvT7TevxWsIvc
- What If? Foundation https://whatiffoundation.org/?eType=ActivityDefinitionInstance&eId=d184f0cb-b9bf-4c41-bcf6-326be6bdab68
- Little Footprints, Big Steps https://littlefootprintsbigsteps.com/
- DoWork https://linktr.ee/doworkorg
- ADFHaiti https://www.adf.ht/
- Hope For Haiti https://hopeforhaiti.com/
- Espwa haiti https://espwa-haiti.org/donate/
- Locally Haiti https://www.locallyhaiti.org/